Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates odds, picks and best bets
The Chicago Cubs (32-24) and Pittsburgh Pirates (17-39) finish up a four-game series at PNC Park Thursday at 1:35 p.m. ET. Below, we analyze the Cubs-Pirates betting odds and lines, with MLB picks and best bets.
Cubs at Pirates: Projected starting pitchers
RHP Alec Mills at RHP Chad Kuhl
Mills owns a 5-4 record with a 4.14 ERA and 44 strikeouts through 10 starts this season.
- Mills threw a no-hitter two starts ago and owns a 2.77 ERA in September.
- Mills has appeared in four games against the Pirates (one start) in his career and is 0-1 with a 5.79 ERA in 9 1/3 innings.
Kuhl is 1-3 with a 5.03 ERA and 39 strikeouts through 10 games (8 starts).
- Kuhl is striking out a career-high 8.9 batters per nine innings this season.
- Despite his 5.03 ERA, Kuhl has allowed more than three runs in only one outing this season.
Cubs at Pirates: Key injuries
(Get the latest injury news here.)
- 3B Kris Bryant (oblique) questionable
- 2B Ildemaro Vargas (hamstring) out
- OF Anthony Alford (elbow) out
- SS Cole Tucker (concussion) out
- RP Keone Kela (forearm) out
- SS Kevin Newman (knee) out
Cubs at Pirates: Odds, lines, picks and betting tips
Cubs 4, Pirates 3
Money line (ML)
The Cubs money line is -189, making them the favorites for the third game in a row against the Pirates (+165) despite the fact they dropped the first two games of the series. Mills has pitched well this month and it's not the Cubs' rotation that's led to their last two losses, it's the Pirates' ability to shut down their lineup.
I'm sticking with the CUBS (-189) in this one despite their recent struggles. They haven't lost more than two games in a row since Sept. 5-6.
New to sports betting? A $10 bet on the Cubs to win returns a profit of $5.29.
The Cubs are favored by 1.5 runs (-121) on BetMGM's suggested line, with the Pirates being +1.5 at even money (+100). Even though I like the Cubs to win this one, I think it'll be another close game.
You can hedge your money line bet by picking the Pirates to cover the spread and keep the game within one run. That's why I'd take the PIRATES +1.5 (+100) to cover.
The Over/Under is 9 runs tonight, slightly higher than Wednesday's matchup in Pittsburgh. The total went Under in each of the first two games of the series and has gone Under in six of the Cubs' last seven games.
The Pirates have done a good job keeping opponents in check, too, with the total going Under in four of their last five games. Take the UNDER (-110) tonight.
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.