Fourteen members from the Syracuse FBLA chapter and adviser Susan Wellman attended the FBLA National Leadership Conference in Baltimore, Md., from June 27 to July 2.
More than 9,600 members from across the United States and abroad attended this exciting conference to enhance their business skills, expand their networks, and participate in more than 70 business and business-related competitive events.
Emma Bjork received 10th place in database design and applications at the FBLA National Awards of Excellence Program.
She took a production test in May, which covered table creation, inserting data into tables and creation of forms for use of the data.
The production test was 85 percent of her score and the remaining 15 percent was from the objective test she took at the conference.
The Syracuse members put in numerous hours preparing for the competitive events prior to the National Leadership Conference.
Maddie Werner and Dominick Lange presented a case study in emerging business issues.
Ben Nannen and Pierce Agena wrote a 22-page business plan,  which was prejudged and then gave a seven-minute presentation summarizing the plan at the conference.
Livia Wilhelm, Reagan Petersen, and Meredith Clark prepared a website for a career center and gave a presentation describing it.
Megan Wallman and Brooklyn Nordhues developed an app to check out books online in the mobile application development event and gave a presentation summarizing their app.
Sage Beers took an advanced accounting test.
Jennifer Daharsh took a word processing production test in May and at the Conference took an objective test.
Tyler Knake and Jackson Zastera took the management information systems test.
Reagan Petersen and Livia Wilhelm also competed in the accounting-based Bank On It Tournament, sponsored by American Institute of CPA’s.
The members also attended finalists’ presentations, exhibits, workshops and general sessions.
The Syracuse Chapter received the Gold Seal Chapter Award of Merit. The chapter was recognized for achieving the Chapter Challenge by completing Super Sweeps, Non-Stop November and Action Awareness activities during the 2017-18 membership year.  
Adviser Susan Wellman was inducted into the FBLA Adviser Wall of Fame based on her years of service, attendance at numerous national conferences with student qualifiers, having multiple members serve as state officers and being named a Nebraska State Outstanding Adviser.
 The Syracuse delegation traveled with 400 others from Nebraska.
They toured Fort McHenry and helped in the raising of the daytime flag, when the flag was changed from the night-time storm flag to the larger 30 x 42 foot 15-Star flag, a replica of the one flown the night Frances Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner.
They also attended an Orioles Baseball game at Camden Yards, a meal at Medieval Times and enjoyed spending time at the National Aquarium and Inner Harbor area.